We’re pleased to announce the second contest of our yearlong series of monthly Grantourismo travel blogging competitions. Once again, we’re inviting you to create an inspiring blog post, consisting of 500 words maximum* of evocative travel writing and one compelling photograph*.
Each month a different Grantourismo blog category will be announced and your blog post must fit into that category. The category for April is On The Road. These posts cover the experience of travelling and being on the move, observations from the road, and reflections upon ‘the journey’. See our post The Road to Essaouira as an example. This month, there’s a further requirement: to coincide with our exciting announcement of a new partner, Rail Europe, who will be providing us with European train tickets for the rest of our Grantourismo project, your post must be about, or reflect upon, a train journey you’ve taken. Your story and photograph must be your own, must be original, and should derive from a firsthand travel experience.
If the post touches on some of our other themes, and motivates people to explore more authentic and enriching ways to travel, get beneath the skin of a place when they travel, learn to live like locals, and travel more slowly and more sustainably, then that’s great too.
FIRST PRIZES This month we have two first prizes, one for entrants who are UK residents, and one for entrants who live anywhere else in the world:
1. UK ENTRANTS: One pair of InterRail passes, worth over UK£1,000, courtesy of Rail Europe, valid for 1 month of travel in 29 European countries.
SECOND PRIZE a Viator tour voucher worth £100/US$150.
THIRD PRIZE an annual subscription to AFAR magazine.
The winning entries will be featured on our Grantourismo blog, HomeAway UK’s Facebook page, and we’ll tweet your success on Twitter.
To be eligible to enter
Entry submission is by posting your blog and linking it to us, and communication is by Twitter, which means:
1. You must have your own blog or website, be a contributor to a group blogging site, or post regularly to a travel site such as www.matadortravel.com, www.bootsnall.com, www.travellerspoint.com, www.travelpod.com, etc.
2. You need to subscribe to Grantourismo via email/RSS, join our community on Google Friend Connect (sign up from http://grantourismotravels.com/ not from this post’s URL as it will not work); and fan HomeAway Holiday Rental’s Grantourismo Facebook page to enter.
3. You need to follow @Gran_tourismo and @HomeAwayUK on Twitter, then alert us via Twitter that you’re following us for the #GrantourismoComp and we will follow you back.
How to enter
1. Upload your original entry to your blog or travel journal site before end of 26 April. (Between now and then we’ll visit your site to read your posts and we will tweet about the posts that meet our criteria.)
2. Identify at the beginning/end of the post that “This post has been entered into the Grantourismo-HomeAway travel writing competition” and link to this specific post (so your entry appears in the Trackbacks at the end of this post) and http://www.homeaway.co.uk/; tag the post with ‘Grantourismo’ and ‘HomeAway Holiday Rentals’.
3. Leave the link to your post, along with your name, and which country you reside in, down in the Comments below – this will serve as your submission. If there is no obvious way for us to contact you on your blog, then please leave your email address, contact us by email, or DM us on Twitter with it. This is necessary so we can let you know if you’ve won!
4. Tweet us on Twitter @gran_tourismo & @HomeAwayUK to tell us your post is up – use #GrantourismoComp in your tweet.
5. Encourage your blog readers and followers on Twitter to give you feedback and re-tweet your entry post. We’re keen to hear their thoughts.
1. We will notify winners by Twitter or email by 30 April.
2. Winners will be required to email us their photograph and blog post.
3. The winning entry will be posted on or soon after 1 May.
Please also read the fine print below. If you have any questions, pop them in the Comments below.
Terms and Conditions
1. Grantourismo monthly competitions are open to anyone aged 18 years or over except anyone professionally associated with this competition or the sponsors.
2. All information detailing how to enter the competitions forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Submissions must be original, should not have been published before, and should not infringe any copyrights.
4. Winners will be chosen by a judging panel consisting of HomeAway Holiday-Rentals staff; Scott McNeeley, Editor of the Viator blog; representatives from Rail Europe, Context and AFAR; and Lara Dunston and Terence Carter. Judges decisions are final. The criteria used will include ability to meet the brief above* (i.e. if you write more than 500 words or provide more than 1 photo your entry will be disqualified), creativity, originality, quality of writing and photography, ability to engage an audience, and ability to inspire.
5. PRIZE CONDITIONS: HomeAway Holiday-Rentals is offering a prize of £500/US$750 towards a stay in one of their properties listed on the HomeAway Holiday-Rentals website. The stay must be a minimum of 2 nights, although can be longer. The winner must use http://www.homeaway.co.uk/ to book the property. HomeAway Holiday-Rentals will release the funds to the property owner and transfer the remainder to the winner to be used toward the trip. The stay must be within 12 months of winning the prize. Rail Europe passes must be booked during 2010 and used before March 2011. Winners must have been resident in the UK for six months. Rail Europe requires passport details and residential address to issue the passes. Travel insurance is not provided by Rail Europe and any seat reservations will need to be paid for by the winners.
6. Winners will be required to write a post about their experience of their prizes on their blogs, link back to Grantourismo, HomeAway Holiday-Rentals, and the sponsor(s) of their prize(s), and tweet about the post, using #GrantourismoComp.
7. Other tours and prizes must also be used within 12 months of notification.
8. While copyright of all submissions to the Competition remains with the entrants, winning entrant grants worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Grantourismo, HomeAway Holiday-Rentals and the sponsors to feature the winning entries on their websites, blogs, or in any publications or promotional materials connected to this Competition.