We’re excited to announce the first of our yearlong series of Grantourismo travel competitions, beginning in March 2010, with monthly prizes.
We’re inviting you to create an inspiring blog post, consisting of a 500-word piece of evocative travel writing and one compelling photograph that motivates people to:
- explore more authentic and enriching ways to travel
- get beneath sthe skin of a place when they travel
- learn to live like locals
- travel more slowly and more sustainably, and/or
- give something back to the places they visit.
Each month a different Grantourismo blog category will be announced and your blog post must fit into that category. The category for March is The ’Hood. Posts in this category explore everyday neighbourhoods and the people who live in them, the idea being to inspire people to get out of the tourist zone and off the beaten track, to get an insight into everyday life, and to interact with locals; see our post on The Rhythm of Daily Life and Rue Bab Doukkala. Your story and photograph must be your own, must be original, and should derive from a firsthand travel experience.
SECOND PRIZE A Context tour voucher worth US$100
THIRD PRIZE an annual subscription to AFAR magazine
PHOTOGRAPHY PRIZE* Olympus FE 4040 cameras worth UK£160/US$240
* The Photography prize is an additional prize for First Prize winners of competitions where photography is central to the category post, such as the Portrait of the Place, Local Knowledge, and The Dish categories; we’ll let you know which ones they are when we announce those competitions. We have six cameras to give away.
The winning entries will be featured on our Grantourismo blog, HomeAway UK’s Facebook page, and we’ll tweet your success on Twitter.
To be eligible to enter
Entry submission is by posting your blog and linking it to us, and communication is by Twitter, which means:
1. You must have your own blog or website, be a contributor to a group blogging site, or post regularly to a travel site such as www.matadortravel.com, www.bootsnall.com, www.travellerspoint.com, www.travelpod.com, etc.
2. You need to subscribe to Grantourismo via email/RSS, join our community on Google Friend Connect, and fan HomeAway Holiday Rental’s Grantourismo Facebook page to enter.
3. You need to follow @Gran_tourismo and @HomeAwayUK on Twitter, then alert us on Twitter that you’re following us for the #GrantourismoComp and we will follow you back.
How to enter
1. Upload your original entry to your blog or travel journal site anytime between now and 28 March. (Between now and then we’ll visit your site to read your posts and we will tweet about the posts we think meet our criteria.)
2. Identify at the beginning/end of the post that “This post has been entered into the Grantourismo-HomeAway travel writing competition”; link to this specific post http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/03/10/grantourismo-travel-blogging-competition-march/ (so your post appears in the Trackbacks at the end of this post); link to http://www.homeaway.co.uk/; and tag the post with ‘Grantourismo’ and ‘HomeAway Holiday Rentals’.
3. Leave the link to your post, along with your name, (perhaps a sentence about yourself?), in the Comments below – this will serve as your submission. If there is no obvious way for us to contact you on your blog, then please leave your email address, contact us by email, or DM us on Twitter with it. This is necessary so we can let you know if you’ve won!
4. Tweet us on Twitter @gran_tourismo & @HomeAwayUK to tell us your post is up – use #GrantourismoComp in your tweet.
5. Encourage your blog readers and followers on Twitter to give you feedback: does the post resonate with them? Does it inspire them? Have they had similar experiences? How do these kind of everyday experiences compare with visiting a major tourist sight? We keen to hear their thoughts.
1. We will notify winners by Twitter or email by 31 March.
2. Winners will be required to email us their photograph and blog post. If you will be out of contact then, email your photo and text to email@example.com (just in case!) and include ‘Grantourismo Competition:March’ in the subject header.
3. The winning entry will be posted on or soon after 1 April.
For more details, read the fine print below. If you have any questions, pop them in the Comments below.
Terms and Conditions
1. Grantourismo monthly competitions are open to anyone aged 18 years or over except anyone professionally associated with this competition or the sponsors.
2. All information detailing how to enter the competitions forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Submissions must be original, should not have been published before, and should not infringe any copyrights.
4. Winners will be chosen by a judging panel consisting of HomeAway Holiday-Rentals staff; Scott McNeeley, Editor of the Viator blog; and Lara Dunston and Terence Carter. Judges decisions are final. The criteria used will include creativity, originality and quality of writing and photography, ability to engage an audience, and ability to inspire.
5. HomeAway Holiday-Rentals is offering a prize of £500/US$750 towards a stay in one of their properties listed on the HomeAway Holiday-Rentals website. The stay must be a minimum of 2 nights, although can be longer. The winner must use http://www.homeaway.co.uk/ to book the property. HomeAway Holiday-Rentals will release the funds to the property owner and transfer the remainder to the winner to be used toward the trip.
6. Winners will be required to write about their prizes on their blogs, link back to Grantourismo, HomeAway Holiday-Rentals, and the prize sponsor(s), and tweet about the post, using #GrantourismoComp.
7. Property stays and tours must be used within 12 months of notification.
8. While copyright of all submissions to the Competition remains with the entrants, winning entrant grants worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Grantourismo, HomeAway Holiday-Rentals and the sponsors to feature the winning entries on their websites, blogs, or in any publications or promotional materials connected to this Competition.