Best Instant Ramen Noodles Recipe
The best instant ramen noodles recipe for a quick, easy, satisfying meal begins with discarding those tiny packets of seasoning and spice paste and making your own sauce, a popular Southeast Asian dipping sauce. Add crunch from fried shallots or fried garlic and fragrance from fresh herbs and you’ve got seriously delicious instant noodles.
- 1 packet instant ramen noodles
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 3-6 birds eye chillies finely sliced (or to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp palm sugar or brown/white sugar
- 1 tbsp deep-fried shallots optional
- 1 tbsp deep-fried garlic optional
- 1 tbsp peanuts roasted, peeled, crushed (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh fragrant herbs such as basil and coriander optional
- 1 tsp spring onions or chives finely sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes optional
Make the dipping sauce by combining the fish sauce, finely sliced birds eye chillies, finely sliced garlic cloves, lime juice, and palm sugar. Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste so that it’s balanced. Set aside so flavours meld.
Boil the instant ramen noodles according to the instructions on the packet (but do not use the seasonings, spice paste and sauces that comes with the noodles). Boil until al dente and drain well.
Combine the noodles and dipping sauce in a big bowl. Don’t add all the dipping sauce at once. Add a little and taste before adding more. Leftovers will keep well in a sealed plastic container in the fridge.
Add some crunch by sprinkling deep-fried shallots or deep-fried garlic or crushed roasted peanuts on top, add more spice with a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes if you like, and garnish with your favourite fresh fragrant herbs, such as basil or coriander, or sprinkle on some finely sliced spring onions or chives.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4639mg | Potassium: 811mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2215IU | Vitamin C: 206mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg