Pork and Crab Congee with XO Sauce Recipe
This Pork and Crab Congee with XO Sauce Recipe is a decadent version of this sometimes humble Asian breakfast staple
- 300 gr fresh crab meat
- 2 pieces green shallots sliced
- 2 tbsp salted roasted peanuts chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp fried rice flakes seasoned
- 1 tbsp chilli oil
- 2 tbsp XO sauce
- 200 gr med/long grain rice washed in cold water and drained
- 400 gr pork belly cut into 8 square chunks
- 50 gr bacon finely sliced
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 1 tbsp ginger finely sliced
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to tasste
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 50 ml light soy sauce
To prepare the porridge, combine rice, pork, bacon and stock in large pot and bring slowly to boil, skimming occasionally. Cover with lid and simmer over gentle heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until rice grains have virtually dissolved and pork is tender.
Remove from heat and take out pork chunks, allow to cool enough to handle and shred the meat finely, discarding skin. Return pork to rice with the ginger, salt and pepper, sesame oil and soy sauce – taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Reheat the rice over medium heat, add the crab meat and simmer in saucepan for 10 mins, until crab is cooked.
Spoon into serving bowls, add drizzle of chilli oil and sprinkle garnishes over the top and add a dollop of XO sauce.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 788mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 41IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg