To celebrate the start of the sparkling northern hemisphere summer when travellers traditionally set out on their grand tours of Europe, we’ve teamed up with our lovely friends at LUXE City Guides to host a month of contests in which we’ll be giving away some of their gorgeous Grand Tour Boxed Sets of city guides.
Throughout July we’ll be holding four weekly contests with handsome LUXE prizes. For first prize winners, we have one European Grand Tour Box of eight guides, an Asian Grand Tour Box of eight guides, a Blue Velvet Bespoke Box of five guides, and a World Grand Tour Box of a whopping 12 guides. For runners-up we’ve got some individual guides, including two guides of choice for second prize winners and one guide of choice for third prize winners.
All you need to do to enter is create an inspiring grand tour itinerary, taking in five (5) Luxe cities, and telling us in up to 100 words what you’d loved to do in each destination.
Yes, we want you to do something! The original grand tourists didn’t set off on a grand tour just to sun themselves by the sea – they did things and they learnt stuff. They hiked in Switzerland and picnicked by the Lakes. They learnt to paint in Paris and studied Italian in Florence. Archery and boules were also big favourites. These days, a modern grand tourist might master the art of macaron making in Montmartre, learn African drumming in Cape Town, or take up silver-making in San Miguel de Allende. Cruise the Mekong River. Take tango classes in Buenos Aires. Go vintage shopping in Berlin. Do Thai massage in Bangkok. All fine grand tour activities!
Your Asian-inspired Grand Tour, for instance, might go something like this: First stop Tokyo to learn the art of tea ceremony, Hanoi to purchase some contemporary art, Luang Prabang to make morning offerings to the monks, Siem Reap to learn Khmer cooking and play at being Lara Croft, and Bangkok to recuperate with a spa break.
So how do you enter our weekly LUXE-GRANTOURISMO contests?
1. Visit LUXE blog LUXETASY to note down the destinations covered by LUXE guides – there are 33 cities in total – and get inspired.
2. Create a grand tour itinerary of five (5) Luxe cities in 100 words or less, telling us what you’d loved to do in each destination, and pop it in the Comments below, with your name, Twitter handle and a blog URL if you have one. We’re looking for inspiring itineraries –the sort that make us want to pack our bags straight away!
3. Follow @luxeguides and @gran_tourismo on Twitter; tweet us to alert us that you’ve submitted your entry with a tantalizing glimpse of your grand tour itinerary; and include #LXGTComp in your tweet to identify it as a contest entry. As in: Hey @luxeguides & @gran_tourismo I want to fine-tune my cocktail-tasting skills in Europe! #LXGTComp. Note: it’s important you follow us on Twitter as all contest communications will be via Twitter, i.e. that’s how you’ll find out that you’ve won!
Each week’s contest will be announced with a blog post on Monday and will close on Sunday 6pm GMT. Winners will be announced each Monday. This week we’re giving away a Blue Velvet Bespoke Box of five guides, plus three individual guides. See the Fine Print for more details.
Throughout July we’ll be sharing inspirational travel tips on Twitter on all destinations covered by LUXE City Guides at @gran_tourismo and @luxeguides. Have you been to any of the 33 LUXE destinations? Then do come and share your tips too!
The Fine Print – Terms and Conditions
1. The LUXE City Guides and Grantourismo competitions are open to anyone aged 18 years or over except anyone professionally associated with this competition or the hosts, i.e. LUXE and Grantourismo.
2. All information detailing how to enter the competitions forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Submissions must be your original idea and should not infringe any copyrights.
4. Winners will be chosen by a judging panel from Luxe and Grantourismo. Judges decisions are final. The criteria used will include creativity, originality and an ability to inspire.
5. LUXE prizes include: one LUXE Blue Velvet Bespoke Box featuring eight guides (winners can choose the titles of their choice), two LUXE European Grand Tour Boxes, one LUXE Asian Grand Tour Box, one World Grand Tour Box, and 12 individual city guides for runners-ups (individual guide titles to be picked by the winners): second place winners will get two guides per week and third place winners will get one guide.
6. The LUXE Grantourismo competition opens on Monday 4 July 2011 and finishes on Sunday 31 July 2011. Round 1 will close Sunday 10 July, with winners announced and Round 2 set to begin on Monday 11 July; round 2 will close Sunday 17 July, with winners announced and Round 3 set to begin on Monday 18 July; round 3 will close Sunday 24 July, with winners announced and Round 4 (the final round) set to begin on Monday 25 July. The final round of winners will be announced Monday 1 August 2011.