Scrambled Eggs with Truffles Recipe
Having bought a fresh truffle at the Naschmarkt in Vienna, one of the dishes I knew I had to make was truffles with scrambled eggs. Eggs and risotto rice are both excellent accompaniments to truffles because their flavours don’t overpower the truffle.
To make truffles with scrambled eggs many chefs place the truffle in a jar with the eggs for at least 24 hours so that the eggs obtain some of the aroma of the truffles. It does work, but it’s a very mild flavour you get.
For me, this dish works best when there is some truffle flavour in the eggs before the truffle is shaved on top of the eggs when served. I like to use the little offcuts of the truffle that you sometimes get when shaving the truffles and throw those into the egg mixture just before taking it off the heat.
Because this is a decadent dish, the eggs should be very velvety and sensuous, which means not skimping on the butter for this. You can go back to your egg-white omelette tomorrow. After a run.
If you don’t have fresh truffles, a tasty alternative is to use a little truffle oil mixed in with the butter, then add a teaspoon of truffle pickers paste when you add the cream. No, it’s not the same, but it’s still damn tasty!
A couple of notes on cooking the eggs: you don’t have a silicon spatula? Buy a silicon spatula. I don’t believe in whisking the eggs. Ever. You should not add garlic to this dish. Ever. I sometimes add a little Parmigiano Reggiano – at the end. This cheese is great with truffles. Some recipes mention Champagne. Of course! But not in the dish. With the dish. After all, this is one of the most decadent breakfast dishes you can have.
- 6 free-range eggs
- 100g butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp double cream
- ⅓ small truffle, finely shaved, plus little pieces for the pan
- Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the saucepan and start stirring.
- If the eggs start to set too quickly, take the pan off the heat for a minute and keep stirring.
- Just before the eggs set, take them off the heat again, stir in the cream, and add the little truffle pieces.
- Add salt and pepper to taste — go easy on the salt though (it can effect the taste of the truffle.)
- Serves with some bubbles. In a glass.
As we’re now in the Southern Hemisphere and it’s winter, we don’t need to miss out. We’re in luck as now Australia has a great supply of local truffles!